Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Great Utah ShakeOut

I spent a full minute under my kitchen table today.

Oh, you want to know why?  Well, I will tell you.

Utah, the state in which I live, today hosted "The Great Utah ShakeOut" to promote awareness about how to respond during an earthquake - evidently we've been overdue for "a big one" for some time now.  At 10:15 this morning, everyone in the state was invited to participate in a minute-long earthquake drill.  I could have downloaded a thing so that sirens played on my laptop at the designated time, but I trusted myself Siri to remember to do it.  Plus Jack is usually napping (and was this morning) at 10:15 and I didn't think a fake earthquake was a good enough reason to rouse him.  I also don't believe sirens will spontaneously ring forth from my computer during an actual earthquake.  I invite the government to prove me wrong.

Some things I learned today, in relation to the earthquake drill.

* I really need to clean better under my table.  Especially since its Jack's new favorite hangout.

* I'm getting old.  My bones ached after just that measly minute.

* If there really was an earthquake that caused us to need our 72 hour kits, we would have plenty of candles, food, and toothpaste.  Clothing?  Not so much.

* That doorway thing is a myth.  You will not be any safer during an earthquake if you seek shelter in a doorway.  Which is a real bummer cause that sounds much more comfortable than under my table.

* Considering we had a table collapse in our kitchen a few years back, and we purchased our current kitchen table from Craigslist, I'm not confident that under it is the safest place during an earthquake either.

* I really should get out more.  That earthquake drill was the highlight of my day (closely followed by a trip to the post office).

You can read about other people/groups who participated in the ShakeOut by following this link.  Their experiences were far less lame than mine.
Yes, I did register.  As an individual.  Cause that's just how I roll.

Oh yeah!  My brother visited today.  That was the highlight.  Sorry ShakeOut and post office.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...