Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Lifetime of Fatigue, Part 2

Sunday. A day of rest. I would wager that on this day, an average of nine out of ten LDS American adults will take a nap. The Sunday nap - the Snap - is a staple in many homes, leading sometimes to harsh punishments ranging from cussing out to disembowelment if disturbed. That nine out of ten average included me. Until yesterday...

Yesterday was just a regular Sunday. Lewis had to work, which was a bummer alright, but I survived church (and nursery) alone. After church I came home, as per the general order of things and got my Lord of the Rings on for a little while (TNT was having a marathon - they know drama) and then decided that a Snap was in order. I mean, come on, I had stayed up late the night before, plus I had participated in a mad chase around the chapel when one of our nursery patrons escaped, plus PLUS we had friends coming over that night, which meant we might not get to bed until late, plus plus PLUS I am lazy. So a Snap it was!

An hour and fifteenish minutes later I awoke from my Snap. Let me tell you what, it wasn't easy. It was so warm and cozy and lovely that it took a nearly back-breaking effort to move myself from lying in bed to lying on the couch. The LOTR marathon on TNT had moved on to The Return of the King, so I pulled my laptop over and settled in for some sweet media multi-tasking. But for some reason, I couldn't shake this feeling of fogginess and unkemptery. It's an annoying feeling, one that I have had before. At first I just blew it off thinking, sometimes this is just my mood, no biggie, right? It sucks, but it just comes and then it goes and then it comes back another time. I felt like this just last Sunday. After my... my... my Snap!

My Snap made me feel like crap!

As my thought process continued, I came to understand that it wasn't just crappy Snaps, it was all major naps that gave me this foggy and unkempt feeling. What the freaking heck! Snaps and naps alike are supposed to be refreshing and pleasant, aren't they? Who invited foggy and unkempt? Not me. I hate them.

Good news - there is a small glimmer of hope: not all naps giving me that icky feeling. I've taken pseudo-naps that leave me feeling just fine. These aren't full-on spectacles with the pillows and the drooling. There more like times when I doze off with my head on Lewis' shoulder or leg. But I'm not really quite asleep - I'm still mostly aware of what's going on around me. But the pseudo dealios are still restful and when the fogginess and unkemptery doesn't come from them, I'll take it.

In all honesty, though, I doubt this will keep me from Snapping.

3 comments:

willus said...

I like Snaps...

lucás said...

Snap, that's my new favorite word for naps.

willus said...

If my friend Ginger took a nap on Sunday would you call it a Ginger snap?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...