Tuesday, April 21, 2009

OCD

SO! I'm done with the semester. I can't tell you how pleased I am. Pleased as punch, really. Right now, I'm sitting in the McKay Building Tec Lab while Lewis studies. He's ignoring me, but for some reason he said I should stay. Some of that quality time married couples always take part of or something. Whatevs.

Anyway, I noticed something today, as I was taking my last exam. First, though, a small sample of background information: I've always been a little obsessive-compulsive. Maybe not enough to call it a disorder, per se, but still. A little.

So back to my exam. It was one of those tests where you're given x number of topics and you're supposed to write everything and anything you know about them. For this particular test, we were given a list of twenty or so topics beforehand, and we got to pick whichever five we wanted to write about. Most people aren't big fans of this method of assessment, but I don't mind it. I seem to do pretty well on it anyway. My biggest problem, however, is remembering the specific names of the people involved in the topic, in this case, the experimenters. To combat this, I took one last look at all the names right before the test started, and then typed them all in at the top of the page (my professor lets us use our laptops for the exams). With the names, I included a word or two indicating which experiment went with each name.

This is what I wrote:
Repacholi and Gopnik - food preferences
Chandler, Fritz, and Hala - deception
Wimmer and Perner: hidden treat
Meltzoff and Moore - neonatal imitation

And so on.

But then I noticed that for Wimmer and Perner, I had used a colon (:) instead of a dash (-). I know what you're thinking. Big whoop! Who cares? Well guess what, you insensitive jerk! I do. I care so much that I had to go back and replace that colon with a dash, even though I was going to freaking delete that whole section of information when I was done with the test. I care so much that I am considering deleting this whole post because I can't stand to see such an incongruity, especially when I know I caused it. I care so much because I'm freaking OC if not D!

That's right, Lewis. You married a crazy.

3 comments:

Cass said...

Honestly, stuff like that drives ME crazy, too. I think we're all a little nuts. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! :D

elsalgal said...

I would have fixed it too. Question: is that OCD or anal retentive. Or is anal retentive actually a form of OCD?

By the way, did you know that I have a compulsion to touch my tongue to where my upper front teeth meet my gums when I'm eating. When I notice it, I still have to do it. I figure that we're all at least a little bit crazy.

Alyssa said...

You tell me. Did I experience conflict while I was potty trained?

But yes, anal retentiveness is considered by some to be a mild expression of OCD.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...