Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Up All Night

My family has been in town for the past several weeks.  Since they want to be close to us, but we don't have much room for everyone to sleep, they've spent the last week and a half in Park City.  Jack and I decided to join them there last week.

If you've read any of my posts over the past ten and a half months, you are probably aware that Jack is not a good sleeper.  His sleep woes are even worse if anything in his routine is even slightly out of the ordinary.  Say, for example, if he was sleeping in his pack and play instead of his crib.  In a place that is not his house.  Park City, for instance.

Lewis and Daniel had a hockey game (they won, beating their nemesis 3-2), so we got up to Park City late.  Jack was already overtired when we left the hockey game and he wailed halfway up Provo Canyon.  He finally fell asleep, only to wake up when I stopped for gas in Heber.  Then he wailed the rest of the way to Park City.

As soon as we got to the condo where we were staying (the one belonging to my in-laws - thank you!), I set up his pack and play, read him a story and sang to him, expecting him to start to drift off right away.  I would put him in bed, he would sleep all night (ha ha), and that would be that.  Except for the part where he didn't drift off.  He did pull my hair and pinch me in sensitive areas repeatedly, though.  That was fun.

By now it's eleven o'clock, four hours past his regular bedtime.  So I just plopped him in the pack and play, giving him the chance to put himself to sleep.  An hour and a half later he was still awake.

I had a queen to myself, so I decided to let Jack sleep with me.  One thing that Jack is famous for is getting up at the same time every stinking day, no matter what time he goes to bed.  I'm an early riser myself, so this is normally not a big deal.  Unless, of course, I don't go to sleep until nearly one in the morning.  But Jack was so tired, there was no way he was going to get up at his usual time, right?  Right?

Jack did very little of this in Park City.

Nope.  Not only did he kick me all night long (evidently Jack never stops moving, even when he's asleep), but he woke up at six AM on the nose.

A side note: Lewis and I don't let Jack watch TV.  It's not something we'd get on a soapbox about or anything like that, it's just not something we let him do.  It's just a personal choice, and it's actually been good for us, too, because it cuts down how much TV we watch.

Well, Jack got up so stinking early, and I was so stinking tired that I decided to set aside my parenting morals and turned on Sesame Street.  He could sit there, enthralled by the educational Muppets, and I could catch a few more winks, right?  Right?

Nope.  He couldn't have cared less about the TV.  He was much more interested in playing with my face.  I sacrificed my morals for nothing.

Eventually I carried him to where my parents were sleeping and they took over for me so I could sleep a little while longer.  This is why my parents are the very best around.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...