Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Let it Snow...Okay That's Enough...No, Really, I Have To Drive in This...

Since I've known Lewis, I've come across many handy tidbits that I didn't know about before. Take for example, Central Bank time and temp. You call some number and a friendly male voice will give you the current time according to the US Naval Observatory's atomic clock (so you know it's correct. They gotsta keep up on their credentials) and the current temperature. And then he announces Provo's only official forecast and a friendly female voice lays it out for you right there on the phone. It's delightful! Since this discovery, time and temp has become a dear friend, making sure I always have the most up-to-date reading of the temporal and weather situations.

Except when they're DEAD WRONG!

On Sunday night at about 8 PM, Lewis and I left his parents house to head home for the evening. The misery of that bitterly cold day (we're talking 9 degrees) was somewhat lightened by the fact that it had just started snowing. Snow can have that effect. It can somehow make everything softer and nicer. However, since we were starting school again the next day, we wanted to find out how much snow to expect so we could plan accordingly for travel purposes. So we called those friendly male and female voices to give us the current time and temp, and also Provo's only official forecast. We were told by that voice that we trust oh-so-much to expect an inch. If that. So that's what we expected.

Monday morning we woke up to this inch. And several of its inchy friends. Great. That'll make driving fun. But at least it wasn't snowing anymore. Lewis decided to give time and temp another chance. Sure, they were wrong the night before, but maybe they just decided to prank us. That's what friends do, right? Just a prank, no one understands that better than us, we still love you and trust you. I mean, an apology would have been nice, it's true, but we're not going to write you off for a tiny joke.

So Lewis called and Provo's only official forecast told us again to expect an inch. If that. At this point, I was a little wary that maybe they did think the same joke would be funny two times in a row, but right at that moment snow was not falling from the sky, so I determined it would be best to trust their judgment of appropriate jokery. Off to school we went.

At approximately 12:45 PM, our fresh inch showed up. At about 1:30 I was suspicious when this "inch" doubled in size. At 4:30, I was ready to give time and temp a piece of my mind. All was forgiven at 7 when it stopped snowing. But at 7:30 it started again.

It's now 6 o'clock PM, the next day. It has not stopped snowing since 7:30 last night, except for a few possible pauses over night while we were all sleeping. And those don't count. But really, it's my fault we got this much snow. You know what they say: fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I had the naivety to trust time and temp when they were so obviously pranking us again. They did nothing wrong, really. They were just trying to be funny. At the end of the day, it's the intent that matters. Not the fact that their little laugh got me soaked up to my kneecaps in my brand new pants or made a pile of snow fall onto the seat of the car when I opened the door or meant I was late for my first day at my internship. Just the intent. It's all good!

Well, tomorrow's Wednesday, and I have to walk 3/4 of a mile to get from my internship to school. I'd better call time and temp to see what I can expect weather-wise. Oh, just an inch? No problem.

1 comment:

Cass said...

You're hilariously weird. Maybe Ashton Kutcher got a hold of the Provo time and temp. You know how he loves to Punk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...