Saturday, May 12, 2012

What a Pain in the Knee

I ran a 5K today.

I'm not telling you this to get you to think that I am awesome.  You should think that, regardless.

No, I am telling you this so that you understand how I have been slowly dying ever since.

While I was out jogging last Tuesday, my knee started to hurt.  It is not unusual for something of mine to hurt - just a few weeks ago I had a broken toe from when a bottle of shampoo fell on it in the shower, and I stubbed a different toe a mere half hour ago - but it is unusual for me to have an unexplained pain.  I inflict enough pain on my body all by myself that there is hardly any room for anything else to be hurt.

The knee thing was different.  It wasn't swollen.  I hadn't twisted it funny or done anything strenuous with it.  My knee just hurt.  For no good reason.  So I cut my run short and took it easy for the next few days, so I could still do this run today.

The 5K went beautifully.  Running is just amazing, let me tell you what.  I was on such a high after it was over.  And my knee didn't bug me at all!  Well, not until the last stretch anyway.  It was all downhill, but I ignored the pain and let my momentum carry me through to the end and to my kid who had just realized I wasn't with him and who was a bit displeased about this fact.

Jack wouldn't let me out of his sight after I got back.
Then the pain really began.

Pretty soon I could barely walk.  Stairs were excruciating.  The pain started shooting to my ankle.  I was THIS CLOSE to just cutting my whole leg off and growing a new one.

And then there was the mail.

I love getting mail.  It's one of my favorite things in the world.  And no stinking knee was going to stop me from getting it today!

The walk to the mailbox was agony.  I'm sure I looked a sight to all of our neighbors.  But it would be worth it, just to get the mail.

But there wasn't any.  I'd made the torturous walk for nothing.  Nothing!

My life is so hard.

In other news, Lewis ran too.  As is common for many runners of such races, Lewis experienced a bit of mild chafing.  He attempted to alleviate the issue with some of Jack's extra-strength diaper cream.  He said it "feels like my bum is sitting in a bowl of ice cream."

Lew's triumphant finish.

2 comments:

Scott and Jessie Allen said...

Was the race put on by Riverview? I'm SOOO sad I wasn't there to run too!

Alyssa said...

It was so fun. One of your students won for the girls' division.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...