Friday, April 2, 2010

You Don't Really Notice Until You Don't Have It

Back when Lewis and I got married, my sister very kindly donated her old microwave to us. It's little, but we don't have that much space anyway. It's noisy, but that's why they created volume buttons on TVs and stereos. It doesn't have buttons, but hey it heats up our food fairly decently. And the knobs technically give you all the settings of a normal, buttoned microwave.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very grateful that my sister was so willing to give us this little machine. A microwave is just something you need!

That being said, I must say that I hate the stupid thing. Who makes microwaves without buttons? I mean, really! How difficult are buttons? But if you absolutely have to have a knob, can't you make one with more widely spaced numbers? Or more than two ticks between them? What if you only want 30 seconds? The first tick is for 1 minute! And two ticks between minutes gives me twenty second intervals! 30 is a basic microwave number!

Knob < Buttons

As you can tell, there's a lot of rage in my heart directed towards that microwave.

We've been wanting to get a new one for a while. Pretty much since the first time we used that one. But new microwaves are expensive, and we got this one for free, and it was doing the job so we dealt with it.

This microwave would be awesomely ridiculous.

My parents moved to Idaho from Kenya this past weekend. Since the move was back to the states, they got back a lot of their stuff that they had put in storage six years ago. Including (I think) a microwave! With buttons. Which they very decently donated to us!

Why would your microwave need two doors? Answer: It wouldn't. This is stupid. Also, it has knobs so it probably sucks.

So now we have TWO microwaves. We're really rolling in it now. Except there is a very real problem about our new microwave. It's huge. Since I've been spending all my time with this itty-bitty microwave of ours, I had forgotten the size microwaves generally come in. Apparently the typical size is enormous, bigger than my whole apartment.

This microwave and I would get along.

We're trying to figure out where to put our new machine. We can't put it where the old one is because it's too big for the shelf. We can't store it on the table because it's too big for the table. We can't store it on the counter because we only have two and the other one is for the cleaning the dishes process and also it's too big for the counter. We're thinking of storing it on the shelf above our fridge, but that's where we keep all of our, you know, food.

Maybe we just need a new house to go with our new microwave. Whatever. As long as we have a popcorn button.


This is not a microwave.

4 comments:

elsalgal said...

So you want that I should take back the microwave? Its not THAT big!

elsalgal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alyssa said...

No, no, no, no, no! We are very happy with it!

Mary said...

But that one microwave was ALSO a toaster! I don't think I"ll ever get over that, it's just way too cool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...